PR TIPS: Working Your Media
May 14, 2013 Leave a comment
For example, let’s say you were featured in a newspaper story and – nothing happened. No one called. No offers came in. No interest was generated, at least as far as you could tell. To start, you don’t know what will eventually come from that one placement. I’ve seen cases where months down the line some amazing opportunity arose because of one story. But, for argument’s sake, let’s say nothing happened. It’s still remarkably valuable. You just need to work it.
Become the story’s distributor – and I mean distributor in the most basic sense –
- Circulate your story
- Feature it in all of your social media platforms.
- Spread the word.
- Mention the story in your biography and fact sheet, use it when pitching other stories.
- Let other media outlets know that you were featured in the article.
- Duplicate it and use it as a press sample.
- Use quotes from the story in your mailers, newsletters, ads, and marketing.
I understand being temporarily depressed if you don’t get a decent response to a story, which is why it is so important to understand exactly how media placement works. One story does not make for a PR campaign. By understanding the process, you turn what appears to be a lost opportunity into a tremendous advantage.
Make a list of the various ways you can utilize your media, on social media, in ads and newsletters, emails, etc.
Don’t let your failed expectations cloud your business sense.
Don’t waste opportunities due to short sightedness.
Be imaginative, inventive.
Copyright © Anthony Mora 2013